Food on board is prepared every day from fresh ingredients, using locally sourced food and speciality produce whenever possible. Vegetarians and special diets can be catered for.
You can fish from the boat and your catch can be served for dinner. All our guests say that they have never tasted anything more delicious than their freshly caught and cooked mackerel! There is also the possibility of lobster, crab and prawns from our own creels.
Here is a taste of the type of meals that the chef produces each day from the galley:
Choose from a selection of cereals and porridge, fresh fruit, yoghurt, warm bread (St Hilda) or toast (Seahorse II/Gemini Explorer) with honey, marmalade and preserves. Also, a variety of options, depending on availability, which can include pancakes, croissants, smoked salmon, free range soft-boiled/fried/scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, beans and black pudding. And, of course, plenty of tea and filter coffee.
Lunches may consist of some of the following: a selection of cheeses, smoked salmon, cured meats, salads, home-made soup, savoury roulade, quiche and various chef specialities. When going ashore a packed lunch will be provided.
Each evening, following the aperitif, we serve a different main course, a selection of cheeses and/or dessert. Here are some examples of the main courses and desserts:
- Catch of the day (for instance mackerel en papillotes) served with new potatoes and vegetables or salads.
Apple crumble and custard.
- Stuffed peppers, courgettes and aubergines served with wild rice.
- Lamb tagine with vegetable couscous.
- Dauphinois fish pie with a selection of salads or vegetables.
Fresh Scottish summer fruits and cream or natural yogurt.
- Pork tenderloin and porcini mushroom cream sauce served with basmati rice and vegetables. Crème caramel.
Other Popular Main Courses
- Shepherd's pie and salad or vegetables.
- Roast free-range chicken with mashed potatoes and vegetables.
- Roast leg of Scottish lamb with garlic and rosemary, roasted potatoes, root vegetables and flageolet beans.
- Kedgeree, served with tomato and onion salad, mango chutney and lime pickle.
- Lentil dhal with crispy sweet potato, served with basmati rice, chapattis, mango chutney and lime pickle.
- Haggies, neeps and tatties.
- Boeuf à la mode served with green vegetables.
House wine (half a bottle) and continental lager is complimentary with the pre-dinner aperitif and evening meal. However, feel free to bring your favourite tipple on board. On Seahorse II and Gemini Explorer there is a limited supply of ice however, on St Hilda we are unable to supply ice. On Seahorse II and Gemini Explorer we have a fine (if limited) selection of single malts in the honesty bar.
We serve morning coffee and afternoon tea. When onboard, afternoon tea often consists of warm scones served with clotted cream and preserves or home-made cookies or cake. There is always a "help yourself" fruit bowl available in the main saloon.